Munnar - A Prime Hill Station of Southern India
Referred to as the "Switzerland of India" for its natural surroundings and old world architecture, Munnar is one of the best hill stations located in the southern state of Kerala. Check out things to do and hotels to consider for your next Munnar trip.
21st April 2011
By Shweta Chowdhary
Munnar & Thekkady are the two most popular hill stations of Kerala and are frequented by visitors from all over the country.
Munnar is sited at the merger of three mountain streams - Mudrapuzha, Nallathanni and Kundala. Sometimes referred to as the "Switzerland of India" for its natural surroundings and old world architecture, Munnar rests at an altitude of 1524 meter. Munnar is famous for its lush green environs, lakes, woodland, winding lanes and tea estates lies nestled in the serene Kannan Devan Hills. Low-flying clouds and mist filled valleys make it a refuge for several discerned travelers. Amongst the exotic flora found in the forests and grasslands of Munnar 'Neelakurinji' a flower that blooms every 12 years is a wonder rare to be seen.
Where is Munnar? Munnar is located at at a distance of 136 km from Cochin and the nearest airport & railway station is at 130 km at Kochi west of Munnar.
Munnar Tourist Attractions
- Mudapetty Dam, situated 10 kms from Munnar, is a well-liked picnic spot and tourists here can indulge in activities like
boating and horse riding. Mattupetti Indo-Swiss Farm is a unique dairy farm with more than 100 varieties of high-yielding cattle being reared in it.
- The Evarikulam National Park 16 km from Munnar is home to rolling grasslands and sholas, elephants, lion-tailed macaque, atlas moth and the Nilgiri tahr (a rare mountain goat). Travelers can also explore the adjacent Rajamala Hills that turn blue every 12 years for the Neelakurinji flowers. The Evarikulam National Park is home to Anamudi, the highest peak in South India, which is an ideal spot for trekking.
- The Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary 10 km from Marayoor and 52 km from Munnar is the home of elephants, leopards, and bear and the Salim Ali (Thattekkad) Bird Sanctuary l ocated 20km from Kothamangalam on the road between Ernakulum and Munnar shelters woodpeckers, Malabar gray hornbills, Ceylon frogmouths, parakeets, and rose-billed rollers.
- Marayoor (around 40km from Munnar) is the only place with natural growth of sandalwood plants, natural caves with murals, and ruins from Later Stone Age evolution.
- Echo Point (15km from Munnar) is a small lake set amidst rolling hills where young tourists throng to listen to their echoes.
- The Christ Church is known for its stain glass windows and the brass plaques built in memory of the tea planters.
- Thekkady is another popular hill station in South India, is close to Munnar and is also located in Kerala. Find out why you much visit this hill station and things to see in Thekkady and hotels to stay at during your trip.
Preferred Munnar Hotels
Hotel Dhanyasree (Rs. 900), Hotel Munnar Inn (Rs. 1900), S N Tourist Home (Rs. 1250) and Poopada Resorts (Rs. 1400) are some of the best rated hotels in Munnar and are highly recommended by travelers to this beautiful town. All inclusive
2 or 3 night packages for Munnar are available starting at Rs. 6500 per couple.